Saturday, September 7, 2019

Accessibility Items Make the Best Birthday Gifts for Those with Disabilities

I celebrated my birthday Aug. 24. I wrote in my recent column about the importance of looking forward with a positive attitude despite my diagnosis of Friedreich’s ataxia (FA). Because my FA is progressing faster than my family or I had expected, I have learned to accept that I will need modifications and adaptations sooner rather than later. I have also recognized that it is OK to ask for things that will help with my accessibility needs.

Two years ago, my husband, Justin, gave me Vans sneakers because my physical therapist advised me to invest in footwear that would help with my balance while walking. She suggested the brand because the shoes, which were designed for skateboarders, have a thick, flat sole and provide comfort while being light, flexible, and breathable. Vans has a variety of styles to satisfy myriad fashion tastes, which is important for a young woman.

This year when Justin asked me what I would like for my birthday, I told him that a backpack would help me when I am out and about in the city. He knows that I like the designer brand Kate Spade New York, so he bought me a black nylon bag from the range. Carrying a backpack rather than a handbag allows me to be more alert and keep my hands free while walking with a rollator.

On Labor Day weekend, Justin and I decided to visit Philadelphia’s Independence Seaport Museum for the first time. We planned to continue to Spruce Street Harbor Park afterward to watch the fireworks, as both attractions are in the same vicinity. The museum is on the waterfront; visitors can go aboard a former U.S. Navy ship and a submarine. The USS Olympia was launched in 1892, and though it still has its original features, I was able to maneuver myself and my rollator around the ship without any issues.

 source:- https://friedreichsataxianews.com/2019/09/06/accessibility-gifts-mobility-aid-adaptive-clothing-footwear/

No comments:

Post a Comment